This August 6th, 7th and 8th, we are hosting a big weekend of music for takayna, to show solidarity for those who have held the frontline in the fight to its rainforests.
Our fearless frontline activists stood their ground for more than eight weeks against mining company MMG, who are determined to place a toxic, acidic heavy-metals tailing dam in the middle of ancient rainforest habitat.
After more than 70 arrests, we have reason to celebrate, with MMG retreating from the forests, for now, while an Environmental Impact Assessment is carried out.
We want to build a loud, colourful, upbeat show of solidarity for this campaign – to raise funds, recruit new frontline supporters, and to show our thanks to the dedicated activists who have helped to achieve this reprieve for the forests.
Friday 6th August
- Hobart Brewing Co, Hobart, 7pm - Acts include Little Island, Art School Bullies and Jeqa. Free entry, but limited capacity.
The Source, Sandy Bay, 4pm - An afternoon of music, spoken word and poetry, as well as soup and drinks by donation. Tickets available here.
- POSTPONED - Northcote Uniting Church, Northcote, Victoria, 7.30pm - takayna-Melbourne Performance Collective, with musicians Aurora Lumina, Faraway Trio, Peter Vadiveloo & Ria Soemardjo and dancers Tony Yap, Adam Forbes & Lynne Santos. Tickets available here. POSTPONED IN LIGHT OF MOST RECENT COVID LOCKDOWN. We will get more information to ticket holders ASAP.
Fern Tree Tavern, Fern Tree, 7pm - Join Meyers & McNamara and virtuoso mandolinist and all-round superstar Luke Plumb for an intimate gig at the Fern Tree Tavern. Tickets and more information available here.
Saturday 7th August
- Little Theatre, Deloraine, 6pm – Acts include Claire Anne Taylor, Daniel J Townsend, Half Way to Forth, Runaway Belles. Tickets available here.
- The Appleshed Club, Bruny Island, 2.30pm – Acts include Shabu Shabu and the STaR Trio. Food trucks and community art projects to participate in. Free entry. More information here.
- Mountain Pepper Music – Private gig with Ross Sermons, Louise Bell, Montz Matsumoto, Peter Hicks and G B Balding.
Sunday 8th August
- Moonah Arts Centre, Moonah, 2pm – Acts include Samora Squid; Nelle Degrassi; Mave; Pat Curley; Billie, Keiran, Dom & Sorin; Morgan's Sandpit; Black Swans of Trespass; Dave Elliston's Bush Band; The DK Effect; Roz Pearson and Ipanema Dreaming; and Nadira and Friends. Tickets available here.
- Lewisham Tavern, Lewisham, 3pm – Open mic, free entry.
- Next Door Bar, Franklin, 2pm – Acts include Teresa Dixon; Katie Wilson; Tobias Hengeveld; Jethro Pickett; Dan Rawlins and more!!! More information available here.
- Salty Dog, Kingston Beach, 2pm – Acts include The Polaroid's (Casey Kostiuk, Jethro Picket, Tim Rozemulder, Scott Targett) with special appearances by Monique Brumby, Lennon Wells, Seth Henderson, Zac Henderson, EWAH, Jed Appleton, Polaroids, Matt Doyle, Dave Wilson, Skin. Free entry.
- Surfside, Beaumaris , 12pm-6pm – Local bands, arts and crafts stall, silent auction and raffle. Acts include Brooke Banderas, Smooth Operators, Marita Mangano, Kim Imber, Alan Archer, Seakatz, Sheerwater Hounds, and Puddle Monkeys. Gold Coin donation entry, limited capacity.
For any questions, contact [email protected]
This survey has no published questions.